Dr. Bob Brownell
Dr. Bob Brownell
Bob, AKA “Dr. Bob,” Brownell’s first motorcycle ride was in 1963 at the age of 11 on a JAWA 250. His first race was a 100 Mile Hare Scrambles in May 1965 at age 13 on his HODAKA ACE 90.
Bob finished a 100 mile desert race in New Mexico in 1999 at the age of 47 on his ATK 406.
He is the Founder and was the Publisher & advertising salesman of the following magazines:
- The Rocky Mountain Motorcycle Guide 1985 – 1992
- The Rocky Mountain Bicycle Guide 1987 – 1989
- The Southern California Motorcycle Guide 1988 – 1992
- The Northern California Motorcycle Guide 1989 – 1992
- The NMA Season Program
- The MRA Season Program
- The SRAC Season Program
- CORVA Magazine
- Dr. Bob’s NMA Season Program was the 1st magazine to put Jeremy McGrath on the front cover.
- Jeremy was so proud of his 1st Cover in 1989, that 20 years later he brought a copy of the NMA Season Program when he was Interviewed for TV by Dave Despain. Jeremy held it up for the viewers to see. That made Dr. Bob was very proud.
- Brownell was the Founder of the Southwest Sportbike School “SSS” in New Mexico from 1998 – 2002.
- Mr. Brownell was the Founder of the Arroyo Seco Motorcycle Association “ASMA” to promote motorcycle roadracing in New Mexico.
- He Promoted & Ran the 1st Organized motorcycle roadraces in New Mexico from 2000 – 2002.
- In 1972 at the Baja 1000, Jim Bringhurst and Dr.Bob finished 11th OA motorcycle and 33rd Overall on a 125 Hodaka. 5th 125.
- In the 1976 Baja 1000 John Townsend and Brownell finished 2nd 125, 11th motorcycle OA and 16th Vehicle OA.
People who helped Dr. Bob with his Magazine Publishing Business:
- Tod Rafferty of Cycle Guide Fame
- Michael D. Brown, then President of the CCMA and now with Exit Tours MC
- Chris Jonnum:
- Dr. Bob gave Chris Jonnum his 1st job in the motorcycle magazine business.
- Chris went on the write for Cycle News, Roadracer X and was the Ducati Corse Moto GP Press Officer and Honda HRC MotoGP Press Officer.
- Chris is now running his own marketing agency “JONNUM MEDIA”
- Larry Langley was a contributor back in the day.
Bob Brownell grew up in So Cal and he raced District 37 DESERT, MX & DIRT TRACK from 1965 – 1977. As a Member of the San Gabriel Valley Motorcycle Club, Bob worked on & laid out all 8 of the original Barstow to Vegas Hare & Hounds from 1967 to 1974.
Mr. Brownell was able to race in the District 37 Run 1988 Barstow to Vegas on a Factory supplied HONDA XR-600 set-up by Al Baker. He raced in the BAJA 1,000 4 Times.
Dr. Bob won the first motorcycle roadrace that he ever entered in 1977 at Woody Creek Raceway in Aspen, Colorado. With NO PAVEMENT EXPERIENCE, the MRA made Dr. Bob start on the last row. Dr. Bob passed 27 racers by turn 4 on the 1st lap. He led all 10 laps and won by a mile. By winning the novice race, he was qualified to race with the experts that afternoon.
In 3 sprint races with the experts, Dr. Bob finished 4th in race 1, 5th in the 2nd race & 6th in another racing against the experts in his 1st day on the pavement. He was hooked.
Dr. Bob won numerous motorcycle roadraces in Colorado & Utah from 1977 – 1992.
Mr. Brownell was the President of the Mountain Roadracing Association from 1980 – 1982, and he was instrumental in getting the 1st Annual Steamboat Springs Mountain Road Races going in 1981.
Motorcycles that Dr. Bob Brownell has owned:
- 1965 HODAKA ACE 90
- 1967 BULTACO 175 SHERPA S
- 1969 YAMAHA 250 DT-1
- 1970 YAMAHA 250 DT-1MX
- 1971 HUSQVARNA 400 CROSS
- 1972 HUSQVARNA 250 WR
- 1972 YAMAHA 125 AT-2
- 1972 YAMAHA 250 DT-2 MX
- 1973 BULTACO 175 PURSANG
- 1974 HUSQVARNA 250 MAG
- 1974 CZ 250
- 1977 HODAKA 125 WOMBAT
- 1974 RICKMAN 650 TRIUMPH
- 1977 YAMAHA TT-500
- 1977 BULTACO 250 PURSANG
- 1978 YAMAHA 250 YZ
- 1979 YAMAHA 400 YZ
- 1978 YAMAHA RD 400
- 1981 SUZUKI GS-750
- 1980 CAN AM 250 QUALIFIER
- 1981 CAN AM 400 MX 6
- 1982 CAN AM 400 MX 6
- 1978 SWM 250
- 1985 YAMAHA FZ 750
- 1987 SUZUKI GSXR 750′
- 1987 CAGIVA 650 ALLAZURA
- 1991 ATK 406 ROTAX 2 STROKE 6 SPEED CROSS COUNTRY
- 2003 YAMAHA WR-450
- And a Few Other Motorcycles that he has forgotten about.
Dr. Bob is looking forward to helping EXIT 501 Promote Off Road Motorcycle Events.